Our mission is to reduce trauma to children and their families through a comprehensive response to child abuse while making our community safer for all children.
Our vision is to eliminate child abuse through prevention, education, and advocacy. Where we cannot, all victims will receive comprehensive and compassionate services from an effective team of dedicated professionals.
Voices Carry is a safe place for children and families when there are concerns about child abuse or emotional trauma. Voices Carry provides proven child abuse prevention, victim support, family advocacy and forensic interviews through a comprehensive multidisciplinary approach. As the only agency accredited by the National Children’s Alliance that serves Larimer and Jackson counties, we minimize additional trauma by bringing the team of experts to the child and family.
Why You Should Care:
Child abuse occurs in our community with greater frequency than most people realize. Voices Carry is equipped to facilitate the healing of the child following a violent crime and help with the prosecution of the offender.
- According to Darkness to Light, one out of every ten children will be a victim of sexual abuse before the age of 18.
- 90% of children who are sexually abused know the offender.
- Only about one-third of child sexual abuse incidents are identified, and even fewer are reported.
- Last year alone, Voices Carry conducted 290 forensic interviews and provided advocacy services to 282 non-offending caregivers, but we know the need is much greater.
- In fact, 2,697 children were assessed for abuse or neglect in Larimer County during 2016, according to the Colorado Department of Human Services. Of those cases, 412 were substantiated and 1,320 resulted in a response that provided services and resources to the family.
What We Do:
In addition to providing advocacy services and child abuse prevention, Voices Carry Child Advocacy Center lessens the trauma to children and their families by providing the only child-friendly place for forensic interviews and support services in Larimer and Jackson Counties. Our accredited team of experts works with law enforcement and child service agencies to reduce the number of interviews and examinations of child victims to increase the likelihood of criminal prosecution. The benefits of using the Child Advocacy Center model include:
- A child-friendly environment and the avoidance of having to travel to different places and “re-tell” their story decreases the possibility of re-traumatization.
- Child victims and non-offending caregivers receive immediate crisis intervention and referrals for various services.
- A multidisciplinary approach brings together child protection staff, law enforcement and CAC professionals for coordinated investigations, improving communication and data collection, which in turn improves outcomes.
- Saving an average of $1,000 per child abuse case compared to communities using the traditional approach to investigation and prosecution.
- In 2016, we taught 3,953 students in kindergarten through 3rd grade personal safety and abuse prevention skills through our Safety Smarts program.